Masthead header
Nate & Luisa bio picture
  • WE ARE…

    ... THE PERKES. We still consider ourselves newlyweds [we've been married for almost 5 years]. Our firstborn, Jace, is now 2 years old, and became a big brother when Sofia Rain joined our family in November 2012. We are from the East Coast [Luisa is from MA and Nate is from NH]. We are Bronco's Fans [We've lived in the Boise area for almost 5 years]. We are travelers. We are athletes and we are dancers. We are enthusiastic about food. We are spontaneous. We are addicted to the sun. We are in love.

    Most importantly... we are HAPPY. We are the Perkes.

The Greatest Day of Our Lives!!

My Doctor put money on the fact that I was going to go late… like WAY late, past my due date. Nate and I felt comfortable in the fact that we would have some extra time to get ready. Ha! Very funny. Instead, one week BEFORE my due date [instead of 2 weeks after as predicted!], I had my appointment with the Doc and wasn’t dilating whatsoever. I worked the rest of that day. I took castor oil that evening… and wahla!! The contractions started 3:00 am, February 3rd. I was convinced not to go to the hospital only to be sent home again because I wasn’t considered to be in ‘active’ labor, so for the next 6 hours, the LONGEST 6 hours of my life, I labored at home. I woke Nate up to time my contractions at 6:00 am, and finally at 9:00 am, when I started throwing up everywhere, we decided to head into Boise. I got emitted and the nurse let me know that: ‘Yup… you are definitely having a baby today. You’re dilated to a 5!!’ The moment she said it… I asked for the drugs! I could hardly wait another moment. And when Doctor Dave walked into the room, I knew he was an angel sent from heaven. They sat me up and started prepping for the injection. Nate was supporting me in front, and was peering over my head and shoulders to watch the procedure. All of a sudden, he goes: ‘Oh man, I’ve got to lie down.’ I ALMOST couldn’t help but laugh to see Nate, stark white, lying down beside my bed, nearly passing out. What a cutie! The fun hadn’t even started yet! When the meds kicked in… oh what heavenly bliss… I got to sleep until it was time to start pushing.

I’ll spare the gory details… but suffice it to say, I had a great delivery. The epidural slowed me way down, so my contractions were about 8-9 mins apart. Because of that, I pushed for an hour and a half and at 4:21 pm, the most  beautiful being I could have ever imagined came into my life. They had some minor concerns [he was experiencing some duress during labor and there was 'meconium' when my water broke- just Google it], so I didn’t even get to meet him until about 10 mins after. I will say this: his cone-head freaked me out, and I am SO glad that his head is perfectly normal now. Jace barely cried when he came out [but has, since then, made up for lost time]. He stayed WIDE AWAKE for 4 1/2 hours after he was born! He was alert, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. We talked to him and laughed and sang to him and just ooohh’d and ahhh’d at every perfect inch of his body. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. 21 in. long [89th %!! Tall, just like his Dad!].


Exactly 24  hours after I went into labor, at 3:00 am on the 4th, a nurse bursts into my room and hands me Jace, saying that there is a fire on our floor and that they were bringing all babies back from the nursery. About 5 minutes after that, fire fighters came and started evacuating. There was smoke in the hallways and pools of water on the floors. I felt so blessed feeling well enough t o walk after seeing half of the Mom’s being wheeled around in office chairs, many without their babies, and ALL of us without any idea where to go. We ended up a couple of floors down in a room with 5 other women and their babies.  Apparently, someone had been smoking in a closet and had thrown their cigarette in a pile of soiled linens; genius. All’s well that ends well, and the hospital tried desperately to compensate for the inconvenience [free food and gifts, and flowers!]. Our little Jace now has an incredible story to tell about the day he was born.

undefinedundefinedundefinedNate and I have been on ‘cloud 9′. We have smothered this little boy in our kisses and our love. We have given him his first bath and have mastered the art of ‘swaddling’. Nate has waited on me and Jace, hand and foot. He has taken to learning EVERYTHING he can about newborns and their care. He has made MULTIPLE trips to Babies R Us and has come back with treasures, more excited than a child at Christmas. He is SUCH a good Dad and has even tamed the “photographer” in him and has only subjected Jace to ONE photo session! We will post the results soon!undefined

I’m still in shock, I think, that we are actually parents. I cannot believe that Jace is mine and we are his and that his level of perfection was even possible. I miss him when he is not in sight. I miss him when he sleeps. I long to hold him and kiss him even if I was doing that only 5 minutes ago.It seems life has finally begun. And what a beautiful life it is.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *